Monday, September 20, 2010

The Life of Lucy

Here lately I feel like my life is an "I Love Lucy" rerun. Yes, I grew up watching Lucy and her "red" hair brained antics. I sometimes could laugh 'til I cried. Funny how when those things are happening to you, it doesn't always seem funny . . . at least not at the time!

A week ago Thursday we were scheduled to sing at our homeschool "kick off" cook out. After setting up all our equipment, we had eaten and were trying to get the sound check finished. We were making ready to begin our short program, when our middle daughter approached us with her ashen brother in tow. The boys had been playing and my son had run into the back of another boy jamming his thumb joint into an amazing position. Needless to say, the concert was cancelled, we spent several hours in ER that evening, and many hours the next day in and out of the doctor's office and outpatient surgery. Thankfully, it all ended well - nothing really serious, and my son should have his splint removed this coming Monday.

But that didn't end it. Saturday we were scheduled to sing at the finale of a church revival meeting, but our lead guitarist had come down with some horrendous flu - high fever, chills, etc - and none of us wanted to get around him much. Besides we didn't want to infect the whole church! The following Monday night found us in the same position. Scheduled to sing at another revival, still a fevered guitarist, we cancelled that gig as well.

I guess the clincher was last night . . . three of my gang and our recuperating guitarist were on their way home from town, when they thought they had either hit a large hole in the road or maybe had a blown tire. As they started to slow down, they saw the wheel pass their truck. It was like something out of the old "Herbie" movie!! They pulled off the highway, leaving long gashes in a newly paved road - no kidding, the paving equipment and workers were close enough that even I could hit them with a rock. Apparently while they were traveling without the wheel, the sparks from the metal on pavement caught the median grass on fire - we have been VERY DRY here lately. Someone who saw it all happen must have called the fire department, because a fire truck pulled up shortly to extinquish the grass. It wasn't much of a fire, probably more precaution than anything. But what a HOOTENANNY!! Again it all worked out well, within an hour or so they were back on the road.

I could fill a book with all the comical things that seem to happen around here. Perhaps I could be the next Erma Bombeck. I can't wait to see what this next week holds!!! :D

" . . . for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content"

4 comments:

  1. Not all people would think this was comical, but just being the amazing person you are, you turn all things around for good and isn't that what we are supposed to do? Take joy in our trials? More power to you...to turn all those things to good!

    And to make your friends smile...like me...

    Thanks for your beautiful comment the other day. :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You take "Never a dull moment" way too far!!! Like Mom said....you're amazing.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good gravy! Glad everybody was okay when the tire went AWOL. Can't wait to see you all next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good gravy! You've got a lot going on! Hope everyone in your house is feeling better. Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day and for correcting the website address.

    ReplyDelete