Friday, May 27, 2011

Back to the Garden - Friday

Well so much for my "week in the garden" blogging!  I guess it was either get the garden in OR blog!!  For the most part the garden is in . . . I have actually planted my second succession of beans.  During that first week I planted Royal Burgundy bush beans, they are actually about six inches tall, so this week I planted Giant Stringless bush beans.  In another couple of weeks I will plant some Pencil Pod Yellow bush beans . . . that should keep me canning beans for QUITE a few weeks ;D !!

I have also planted zucchini, cantaloupe, watermelon, and pumpkins.  My bush cucumbers are a couple of inches tall and just this week I finally got some Silver Queen corn in the ground. 

I am sad to say that the heat has already had its way with the lettuce and I have had to pull it out of the cold frame.   The Swiss Chard is doing great though and we had some this week sauteed with olive oil and fresh garlic.  YUM!   My boys are having a hard time waiting on the carrots, so I get a weekly peek at how they are doing . . . last check they are about 4-5 inches . . . we'll be picking those soon.

By way of explanation, I expanded our garden quite a bit this year and all of the new area is where I STARTED this year's garden.  I see now that was probably bad planning on my part because that part of the garden is NOT as fertile.  So, the broccoli has not grown much and I do not expect to harvest any this year . . . boo hoo!!!  My snow peas have been more yellow than green.  They still tasted pretty good, but I need to work on the nitrogen in that area pretty seriously.  I still watch my potatoes and onions skeptically . . . we shall see.  I love to garden!!   It is always an educational experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment